Wednesday, November 23, 2016

A Sense of Betrayal

This time it's personal...

Many of us are still walking around in an apparent state of shock after the recent election. Unless you’re lucky enough to be living in a cave, you are aware that Donald Trump has been elected president of these United States, which means that they may not be united much longer. Everything that is wrong with this country reached its nadir last week with the election of Donald Trump. Protests immediately sprang up in cities across the country. He was officially endorsed by the KKK and his new chief of staff has ties to white supremacy groups. Some say, give him a chance to prove himself, but he proved himself to be sleazy conman long before he was mistakenly elected president of these United States.


I feel betrayed by my country. I gave four years of my life to the government when I joined the Air Force at age seventeen. I pay my taxes and abide by the rules of the road. My country, ‘tis of thee, is starting to come apart at the seams. Our fragile social construct will soon be in the tiny hands of a reality TV star, who seems to have no concept of moral responsibility. He has over seventy lawsuits pending against him. He openly degrades women and people with disabilities. He wants to start deporting immigrants and yet all of his wives have been immigrants. He uses immigrant labor to build his towers, which are obvious substitutes for his feelings of sexual inadequacy. It’s all just so headshakingly stupid.

I feel betrayed by my family. I knew we had some serious haters in our country, but I didn’t realize that some shared my last name. Maybe in my parents’ case, voting for Trump was a case of accidental bigotry. They’re good people. I’ve never considered them to be racist, just uninformed and when you’re pushing a hundred it’s a little late to start. They eat what they are fed by the media without asking questions about the harmful ingredients. This will most likely be the last vote they cast in their lives. My parents have always voted republican, but this time is different. This time it’s personal.

I’m a white male – safe in this society – but I’m married to an African American woman, and I have a mixed race son. My cousin was finally able to marry her partner of many years. Many of us are worried for our immigrant friends and this whole idea of “extreme vetting.” Unfortunately, everything about this is extreme. Whites hate a level playing field. Rich white men pay pennies to starving brown children to make Air Jordans or iPhones, so that they can afford the best single malt whiskeys or that quaint little getaway in the Caribbean. Nobody ever got rich through hard work, but through exploiting the inexpensive labor of others.

I’ve struggled with this post since the election. It’s too soon to know what evil lurks in the hearts of these men, but Trump’s recent cabinet appointments do not portend well for the future of humanity. We’d better be prepared to fight for our rights, and the rights of our neighbors. Fascists do not give up power easily, but you fascists bound to lose. Yes sir, all of you fascists bound to lose.



No comments: