Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Killing Time

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. As we all know, words do hurt. In fact, sometimes words can hurt so much that they may prompt one to pick up some sticks and stones and heave them at the speaker. Wars have been started over words and not just Word Wars.

Words often fail us though. We are trying to use words to represent some often very complex thoughts. We are constantly trying to represent our states of mind with our limited vocabulary. Love is a state of mind. Anger is a state of mind. Pain is a state of mind. Can you rate your pain on a scale of 1 to 10? Pain may feel very real, but then again so does color...and love.

I was at work yesterday, killing time. Then I thought to myself, if I can kill time, time must be alive! Time is not alive. Time is merely a concept. I am alive and much more than a mere concept. I am a breathing thinking being, who -- even as I shrink away -- is in constant contact with the world around me. The air around me is not empty. It is filled with the detritus blowing in the winds across the globe. When a butterfly flaps its wings on another continent it really can cause the clouds above to rain on my parade.

All these connections and I'm still yearning for more. I've been a breathing thinking being for nearly fifty-five years, and I'm still aching inside for that unknowable something. That mysterious object of my intellectual desire. I'm just not satisfied with easy answers. And if you flip to the back of the book of life, there is no answer key there either.

Sometimes we must turn to the great philosophers to seek the answers we desire.

No comments: