Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Talking Entropy Blues


The eternal breakdown. Humans love to create order out of nature, with their roads and suburbs, but nature eventually retakes its acreage. Roads break down with the cycling of the seasons. Rain beats upon the rooftops, and moss grows on the north-facing side. The leaky roof at the bookstore doesn't get better over time. It gets worse, with the water finding new ways to leak onto the wood floors. Water is one of earth's most powerful agents of erosion. It carved out the Grand Canyon and all the little canyonettes. The power of water. It can cut through rocks, and entire civilizations.

We get shorter as we get older, because our spine starts to compress. Our feet, nose and ears get bigger. All part of breaking down. We all succumb to gravity eventually. While I was busy living life, my own physical being and faculties have been breaking down. I can't eat the foods I used to. My eyesight is fading like old Polaroids. My knees ache more with every rainfall. And don't get me started on my sleep patterns.

With the popularity of crudities like  Cruz and chumps like Trump, one could easily believe that the end is near. We're witnessing the breakdown of our own society, and we're all fiddling with our smart phones, as the world burns down around us. Maybe my passion for Bernie Sanders is just another way of trying to impose some sort of order in this crazy-ass country of ours. No one values intellect anymore, and reality has just become another entertainment show.

The desire for order and meaning is a purely human characteristic. Some people believe that religion and faith in a higher power gives their lives meaning, but the truth is that we create our own meaning in our meager lives. Even your religious belief is a creation to make sense of this chaotic world.

It's maddening to think about the past and future and our microcosmic place in all of this. In the grand scheme, we're not even a blip. About 1.2 billion years from now our sun will flare up and swallow up the earth, before it becomes a red giant. Most of us are not even cognizant of the fact that we're on a rock hurtling through space at a speed of nearly 67,000 miles per hour. Never mind that our solar system whirls around the center of our galaxy at some 490,000 miles per hour.


I'm just trying to carve out my little calm corner in this chaotic universe. My time is limited, but my love is unlimited. My life is filled with meaning: Raising my son, putting good books into the hands of waiting readers, and continuing my quest to become knowledgeable and enlightened, two unattainable but worthy goals. Even gazing at the stars, or talking to the neighborhood crows fills me with a sense of a life worth living. Chaos is unavoidable, but it's up to us to find the meaning in our own lives.

No comments: