Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The Good Escape

My wife and I are finishing up our four night getaway on the Olympic Peninsula, and don't get me wrong, it's been a wonderful little respite. It would have been a Great Escape, if we had ended up on some beach in Negril, or gambling in the Bahamas, but a trailer in the woods merely qualifies as a Good Escape. We didn't have to use spoons to tunnel out of our drudgery in Seattle, although we did have to wait an hour for the ferry across Puget Sound.

The words "back to work" feel bitter in my mind. I cannot conceive of anyone having said, after their vacation, "I am so ready for the daily grind again." Nope. Everyone wants to be on a permanent vacation, myself included. Rain or shine, a day off from work is always welcome. One plus this week is I didn't work on Monday, so that leaves me with a shortened work week. Beggars can't be choosers.

Overall it was a wonderful break. I am now back home and thinking of slathering some peanut butter and jelly on two opposing slices of wheat bread.  Before I go to work, I must stop at a law office and sign bankruptcy paperwork. That's right. Even the mighty can fall. I've left messages with Donald Trump, but I guess he figures that I can never pay him back a favor big enough. I don't know about that. I think I could do him a really big favor: shave his head; put him in a big orange jumpsuit.

I can feel the stress and angst seeping back into my being. In the city, the air is thicker and more odorous. There's a sense of go-go-go, that I just can't take-take-take. It's still doesn't feel as cutthroat as living on the east coast, but Seattle is working hard to become just another anonymous corporate city. The sense of personality and uniqueness are being stripped away in the name of modernity, which is just another form of progressive delusion for the American beast.

So, with four nights rest in my back pocket, I will reenter my job at the bookstore with renewed vigor and excitement. I will enlighten the reading public with my meager knowledge and every-ready intellectual curiosity. I will withhold any negative commentary, as I watch the world go by. I haven't walked in days, because our break was about laziness, so I'm looking forward to resuming my daily walks, accompanied by the tunes of the day.

Forward!






No comments: