Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Still Not Feeling It

I'm nearing the end of my shift at work. I am running the place solo at the moment, because my co-worker just happened to call in sick on this beautiful sunny day, which also happens to be her Friday. Who can blame her? Certainly not me.


I have the urge to buy a few books, just in an attempt to assuage my tired old soul. The satisfaction to be gained from shopping for material goods is as short lived as a masturbatory orgasm though. Fun while it lasts, but it's over much too soon. I have over two-thousand books in my personal library and no matter how much I try and cull the literary herd, I still seem to maintain the same amount, between bringing home advance copies to snagging something out of the donations box.


The better satisfaction to be gained will be when I go home tonight and finish the novel that I fell asleep trying to finish last night. I didn't fall asleep because of stale prose, but more so because I had worked that day, and it was nearing two in the morning anyway.


I'm still always on the lookout for the good. Tonight I spotted a hummingbird, perched atop a nearby fir tree. He soon flitted off, but I still get a thrill every time I see the little boogers. (Yes, I did just call hummingbirds "little boogers." Sue me. I love litigation.) The other good moment(s) was spotting Chloe, the black cat that lives next door to the church down the block from the bookstore. I often take my break on the back steps of that church, and it's nice that after about three years, Chloe the cat will tolerate my presence. She's definitely not the kind of cat to rub up against me, asking to be scratched under the chin.


Time to patrol the store, and make sure that there is no one hiding between P and Q. Until I bleat again.

No comments: