Saturday, February 21, 2015

Saturday Strong

Working on a Saturday..and the sun is starting to break through the clouds. How does that happen, you ask. Me, working on a Saturday. Well, I have always had NGS, or Nice Guy Syndrome. I am the only employee in the bookstore, who has both Saturday and Sunday off. I don't know how that happened. I must have done a sexual favor for the right person at some point in my life. But I digress. The point is that when someone wants a day off on the weekend, they often ask if I'll trade shifts with them. So, I am working until 5:30 on this brilliant Seattle day, and in exchange I will get Tuesday off, when we will most likely have a snow storm, combined with our worst earthquake in a decade. [I should be careful what I say.]

When the sun shows it's shiny face in this neighborhood, the customers flee the store, and run to the local parks. How can I blame them? If I had my druthers (On sale this week at Target! $15.99 for a pound of Druthers.) I'd be getting warm in some sunny spot, and trying to read a few pages before my eyelids grew heavy.

Instead I am here at Ravenna Third Place, practicing my slacker skills. This means sending emails, taking mental health breaks at the local church (aka, smoking a bowl) and writing a blog post. What are you doing on this Saturday? Shoveling snow, or watching the mid-morning movie on cable? Maybe you're finishing lunch with a friend, and about to go shopping, because shopping makes you feel so vital and alive. I'm dreaming of the time to read books, and the space and distance to make sirens and bus exhaust a faraway blip on my awareness radar.

No comments: