Friday, June 6, 2014

Post Birthday Blues

Yesterday I had the birthday blues, so it only follows that today I have the post birthday blues. The past few years I have scheduled my birthday off, just so I wouldn't have to deal with work on that day. I didn't do that this year, partly because I didn't have the time to take off. So, yesterday I asked my boss if I could have the afternoon off (literally just three hours), "I was thinking of leaving at three. It's my birthday and I thought I would spend the afternoon with Justin." Gramps (my boss) immediately gathered up that sour look on his face and started to flounder for reasons why I could not have the afternoon off. We were shorthanded: Well, if I left, there would still be my boss and three employees. He mentioned last night's event: I normally leave at 6:30 pm and the event started at 7 pm. It seemed to me that he was reaching. Really reaching.

Just before my lunchtime came around, I got a call from my stepson, informing me that my wife had been taken to the hospital by ambulance due to numbness in her arms and neck. She's already had a couple of mini-strokes, so any emergency hospital visit is serious. Luckily, it ended up being low potassium and she was able to return home in a few hours.

So much for my special day. It's difficult enough, living with someone who doesn't celebrate birthdays, but with my tendency to veer into depressive moods, it's better to just take the day off and lay low. That has always worked the best in the past. I'm usually broke, so the idea of a movie, or buying myself a few books is usually not available to me, but just a leisurely day to read and relax would have been the ticket. Oh well. I'll most likely be around next year to make up for it.

It's Friday and for the second week in a row, I have opened the store. Not by my choice, mind you, but because the management asked me to. I'm not used to having to be at work for 7:30 am. My son was still sleeping so soundly and he's usually up before I am. I'm currently enjoying a honey wheat cherry muffin, and tap water. I'd rather have French toast and go back to bed, but if wishes were horses......

No comments: