Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Monday and the Mundane

I don't really believe in writer's block, but sometimes when life is status quo, it can be difficult to think up anything that I deem worthy of print. I could always throw a wrench into the works, and create needless drama. That would give me something to write about, but also stress and heartache. Blech!

Today was Monday, but it was different from most Mondays because it was Memorial Day. I still worked my regular shift, but the store and cafe were bustling most of the day, which is not status quo for a Monday. Whenever I'm at the store when I think I should be off, I find it hard to keep my mind on the task at hand. I feel a smidgen of envy when the majority of the surrounding community gets to come in to Vios for brunch and then some book browsing. I find excuses to write emails to friends. I take extra breaks behind the nearby church (praying don't you know.) I find it nearly impossible to stay until 6:30 pm. I feel that once it's about quarter past the hour it's close enough to start getting my gear together and ready for departure.

So, I sit here at nearly 1:30 in the morning. I don't have to be at work until 2pm tomorrow, so that means I get to sleep in, which always feels like a luxury. I read nearly a hundred pages of the novel Worst. Person. Ever tonight, which is good considering that I didn't read one page over the weekend. I have my eye on so many interesting non-fiction titles, that I have a hard time putting my mind to this novel, but I'm hoping that the Worst. Person. Ever will be some mindless fun for a few days. Then it's on to subjects as diverse as soccer, time, and Roger Williams.

Since my mind seems to be veering towards subjects that are not suited for this blog, I think it's time to close the laptop, and venture out onto the deck for some fresh night air before crawling into our double bed.

No comments: