Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Talking is Overrated

I just got back from having my ears lowered (as my dad used to say) and I'm always annoyed by the stylist's attempt at small talk. I go to the same place to get my haircut each time, but I am lazy about it, and show up about once every six months. "How is your family?" "Do you work downtown?" "Did you have a good weekend?" I'm actually fine with not saying a word. I could easily just sit their in the barber's chair and zone out for twenty minutes and it wouldn't bother me a bit. It's more work to try and maintain chitchat with someone you see twice a year. But now I'm all cleaned up and ready to go run a cash register, and alphabetize books by author. ("How are the books organized in this section?" "Oh, by color...duh!")

My reading habit has suffered greatly lately. One of the reasons is the fact that I'm reading a book about our justice system (said with a smirk) and it's compelling, but not an upbeat subject by any means. I'll need to read something quick and fun when I'm done with prisons, cops and the entire lack of empathy for our fellow human beings.

Right now all I can think about is eating. It must be because I arose at 8am when I usually sleep in on Tuesday mornings. I don't have to be at work until 2pm and there is something sad about showing up too early. It's not bad when the weather is consistently pleasant and I can lounge about outdoors until I have to report for duty, but lately the weather emphasis has been on cold rain. Blah. Right now the sun is shining, but, as we all know, the sun is such a tease.

I've been on a hip-hop binge lately, expanding my "High End Hip-Hop" playlist. Latest editions are "Fuck Yall" - DJ Quick & Kurupt, The Humpty Dance" - Digital Underground and "Young, Wild & Free" - Snoop Dogg & Wiz Khalifa. You are not likely to see me driving down the street in my Subaru Forester, with those tunes booming out of my car stereo, with my hat on sideways and such; but if you see me ambling to work with my headphones on , I am most likely not grooving to Fleetwood Mac and Billy Joel. Instead, my ear drums welcome the sounds of De La Soul, Ludacris, Lupe Fiasco and more. That is when I'm not listening to Cake, or QOTSA, or Foo Fighter, or Kinski, or BRMC or..........

****
So, lesson for the day: Talking is overrated, but music is essential to our daily emotional survival. What is also essential for overall happiness is lunch. That's right, lunch. I think I might just go for the always-reliable bagels from Bagel Oasis. Go with what you know.

Peace, love and neck kisses.

No comments: