Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Neglecting the Old Stuff

My title refers to this blog actually. I've been using Facebook, Tumblr, and browsing my usual sites (The Political Carnival, Good Reads, NYT,) but I've been neglecting my old Destined for Banality blog. I keep it up on my desktop as a reminder to post something, but I've always used this format for longer pieces, and time, well you know the thing about time right? The good times fly by in a flash, but the miserable moments stretch on forever. These days I'm pretty damn happy, so life is sometimes a blur.

Family life keeps me busy, even though my son is only here from Friday through Sunday. There are step-kids, a new grandchild (The Ninja), two cats, and all the peripheral stuff that goes along with family. My sweetheart and I are perpetually craving time away, because the only way to get privacy and quietude is to remove ourselves from the house. In fact, we have a long weekend coming up on November 16th.

Speaking of our getaway: it's about all I can think about lately. We leave a week from this Friday for Whidbey Island in the Puget Sound to getaway and also to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. My honey found the cottage on Air B&B, a website where people put up their houses, cottages, or extra rooms for vacation rentals. It's only 300 square feet, with a loft bedroom, and a little covered porch, where one might have breakfast if it's not cold and rainy.

This weekend we'll be taking Justin to see The Wizard of Oz on the big screen. He's seen the film at least twice on DVD, and we took him to see Wicked at the Paramount a couple of weeks ago. I think he'll enjoy seeing it on the big screen. It's probably my all time favorite film (and my wife's least favorite!), and I'll enjoy seeing on the big screen for a second time. The first time I saw it on the big screen was at the Mahaiwe Theater in Great Barrington, Massachusetts. That was probably 15 years ago. I'm surprised that my wife is voluntarily going along with us on Saturday. Maybe, just maybe the film is starting to grow on her. 

I distracted myself this morning by going out into the garage on a mission. I knew that there were some CD's out there by Steve Forbert and Robbie Fulks that I didn't have in my iPod, and we have seen them both live recently, so it's nice to have some fresh material to listen to. I even went on iTunes and bought Steve Forbert's latest release. One should support actually talented working musicians that are backed by corporations. Hell, Robbie Fulks was only $12 live and Steve Forbert was $20. These guys are living legends in my book (well, Robbie's getting there for sure) and I'm happy to support them in any way I can for the pleasure they give me with their compositions.

Well, I shouldn't burn myself out on this rare blog post on here. I have a little time before I should leave for lunch and then work. I have a few more CD's to put into my iPod and I'm good to go. Let's celebrate today, because the country is semi-safe once more from the greedy clutches of rich white corporate thieves.

No comments: