Monday, December 12, 2011

Expect Delays

Gosh, it's been nearly two weeks since my last post. What have I been doing with myself? Well, I've been keeping my nose to the grindstone. In other words, I've been working hard to keep Ron Sher (the owner of Third Place Books, among other malls across the country) happy and wealthy. Every holiday season I turn into a Grinch, because we (the wage slaves at Ravenna Third Place) do not get paid for Thanksgiving or Christmas. We are supposed to present the customer with a cheery demeanor, and yet we here at the bookstore live paycheck to paycheck. The business owner is not even decent enough to pay us for the only two holidays on which the store is closed.

Today I found out that I was to wait five hours, instead of the usual four for my lunch break. They didn't even ask, because they figure that we're all so desperate to keep our jobs, that we'll do anything: skip lunch, work extra hours, and get paid the state minimum wage. Ah, the life of the 99%. It ain't easy.

No comments: