Thursday, April 7, 2011

A New Day

I took a "fashion risk" and had my taxes down at H & R Block today. I had preliminarily done my own taxes on Turbo-Tax, and it looked like I was going to owe just over $300, which is a substantial amount to a lowly bookstore employee. I figured that I didn't have anything to lose by having a professional do my taxes. I was glad that I made that decision, because now I'm actually going to get a substantial amount back. Of course, it will all go to pay bills (like ex-wife, car insurance and other minor annoyances.) Maybe I can actually manage to get myself an object or two that I have been desiring, like a small laptop with which to write on the go. Anyway, my refund news brightened up my day, which is good considering that it's still gray and rainy here in Seattle.

On to other subjects. Even I'm sick of my whining about debts. How about you? I still set aside more books at work than I have space for at home. It's an addiction that I cannot gripe about too much. I love books too much to ever think of them in a negative light. I met two people yesterday at the used book counter that are in the same boat that I am. They were recently divorced and are now having to downsize their libraries. It's not an easy task, but there is something satisfying about weeding out books that I will probably never read, and holding on to the more important and noteworthy works. Stuff that I need to read before I kick the proverbial bucket.

So last night I bought Queer by William S. Burroughs, Boxcar Bertha,Fatelessness by Imre Kertész, and Habitations of the Word by William H. Gass. I still have lofty goals when it comes to my reading. I'm in the midst of my second philosophy book in a month. I continually feel the need to keep my brain alive, and challenged. I do that by thinking about nearly unthinkable concepts like reality. I still enjoy the periodic mystery/thriller though. Nothing like a good page turner to while away the hours.

No comments: