Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Noise Pollution

So, here's the deal. I work in an independent bookstore in Seattle, and within this building there is also a restaurant. The restaurant closes at 9 pm, and the bookstore closes at 10 pm. The problem ends up being when the restaurant manager goes home, the little kiddies back there crank up their whiny acne-riddled music. They have been told by multiple authorities that the music must stay at a reasonable volume until the bookstore is close. I am personally tired of being the mean old man and telling them something they already know. I'm tired of the Rude Generation, and their indifference to the world.

It's never a good thing to have someone else's musical tastes shoved into your senses like some kind of earwig. I love country music, but there was a time when I worked next to a loading dock, and the cigarette-smoking harlot (and I mean that in the nicest way) that worked there kept her radio nailed to the local country station all day long. When I left work the last type of music I would want to hear would be country. In fact, I usually needed to feed myself some heavy metal to cleanse my audio palette.

In other words, my quiet evening at the bookstore has been disturbed by the rudeness of youthful kitchen help, with no sense of decency.

No comments: