Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Yet Again . . .

I am in between books yet again. Last night I finished reading Matt Briggs' yet-to-be-released novel, The Strong Man. Unfortunately, it was just okay. I started to write a review late last night, but essentially it's like this: The Strong Man is a quirky coming-of-age tale, based in Seattle, but set against the first Gulf War (Desert Storm.) Young Ebeneezer Wallace (I kid you not) knocks up his Chinese-American girlfriend, and then his army reserve unit gets sent to the Middle East. There are some interesting elements to the tale, but I there seemed to be a lack of overall cohesiveness. In a way it's a morality tale, but by the last page I'm still left wondering what Ben (Ebeneezer)has learned from his experience on the peripheries of war.

I am at work, (which means that I shouldn't be blogging) but I wanted a chance to expound a little on my decision-making process for my next read...

2 comments:

mattbriggs said...

Thanks for writing a note about The Strong Man. I had not thought about the book being a coming of age story or morality tale, really. So that's interesting to think about from my perspective.

I'm looking forward to reading and talking with Matthew Stadler about the Publication Studio next month.

Hayduke said...

I actually started to write a review that I plan to post on GoodReads.com. I found the book to be quite intriguing, and I like that fact that I was never quite sure where it was going. I served in the military myself, from the age of 17 until 21, so I like to read tales that somewhat coincide with my own experiences.