Tuesday, December 7, 2010

In Between Books

I finished reading my first lean and mean Parker novel by Richard Stark last night. It was a quick and intense read, but now I'm in that netherworld in between books. I have a few that I was going to peruse last night, but instead I ended up writing until four in the morning. I haven't done that in a while. I didn't write in my journal, which is well overdue, but some things have to wait (like my personal whines and rants going into a journal that will disappear at the demise of technology.)

I'm tempted to read David Rakoff's latest collection of essays entitled Half Empty. It's message appears to be directed at misanthropes like me. The holiday season is just ripe for misanthropy, believe me. I'm also considering reading an advance copy of Matt Briggs latest novel, The Strong Man, which was passed my way. He is a Pacific Northwest author, and he'll be doing an event for the book at our store next month. It might be nice to have read the book when he comes.

I have tomorrow off, because I will be attending the "Deck the Hall Ball" at the WAMU center (named after a bank that failed a couple of years ago.) The doors open at 4:30 and there are six bands in the lineup, including Cake, The Black Keys and Jimmy Eat World. I will be accompanied by my companion's 17-year-old son. He is psyched to be seeing an actual rock show. I'm just hoping that I'll be able to sit down for the show, being the cranky curmudgeon that I am.

No comments: