Saturday, August 28, 2010

A Break in the Clouds

The sun has finally burned through the clouds, here at about quarter past three in the afternoon. That's about par for the course these days. The nights are getting chillier (Yeah!)and the cloud cover threatens to stay around the whole day through. But overall today's forecast calls for laziness, and a general tendency to layabout. I have not yet found the energy to walk out on to the deck in order to sit and read. And there are still piles of books in my office to shelve.

I'm nearly done reading The Extra Man by Jonathan Ames, and it's just what the doctor ordered. It's funny yet poignant. It's Quirky with a capital Q, and it's sexually perverse. What more could a reader ask for? The writing is quite enjoyable, but I'm also champing at the bit to read some of the recent titles that have been added to my collection, such as two novels with zombie themes: Pariah by Bob Fingerman and The Reapers are the Angels by Alden Bell. For whatever reason I am in a zombie mood. Something gory, yet philosophic. Frightening and at times laugh-out-loud funny. Maybe I'm hoping for a little much, but any books I read now are still technically "summer reads."

No comments: