Thursday, July 15, 2010

Random Thoughts


Sunset is the close of the day. It's also the name of a magazine featuring the west coast of the USA. The sunset years, or "golden" years are the pseudonyms for the last days of human life. The sun does not actually set anywhere, of course. It just hangs there in the heavens, exerting gravitational force on the planets that surround it, keeping them in its orbit. It is a huge nuclear furnace that enables little old us out here on planet Earth to live as we do. That's right, because of the warmth of the sun we have nice green lawns, white water rafting, and plenty of flora and fauna to go around.
* * * *

I've had a $25 Best Buy card since my birthday at the beginning of last month, and I finally found a reason to use it yesterday. The latest film directed by Noah Baumbach, "Greenberg" was released on DVD yesterday. After the sale cost of "Greenberg," I still had five bucks to use, so I found a copy of "The French Connection" and "The French Connection II" for only $9.99. I don't know if there are any extras, because the packaging is pretty bare bones. Now that I think of it, I seem to remember that I saw "The French Connection II" at a drive-in theater way back when. No wonder I don't remember it very well. Drive-in movie theaters were never really for watching movies.

In fact, I've been pondering going to the drive-in theater this summer at some point. The only problem is that during the summer way up here in the Pacific Northwest the sun sets at about 10 pm (if at all!) They also have outdoor movies in some of the neighborhoods here in Seattle, where you show up with your blankets, and snacks, and "enjoy the show." Lots of stuff to do here in Seattle when the sunshine is available for use.

I should be done reading The Chalk Circle Man tomorrow at some point. It's quite enjoyable, especially because I read mysteries for the characters and dialogue. The Chalk Circle Man is the first in a series, and I can certainly see myself returning to these characters again. I think I'll be reading another mystery next, by the British author Nicolas Freeling. There was a BBC series based on his Inspector Van der Valk mysteries back in the 1970s, and I really enjoyed that show, so I thought I'd give the books a try. The first book, Love in Amsterdam (aka Death in Amsterdam) is waiting for me at my local library.

No comments: