Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Bright Light

The sun is blazing above Seattle today. The temperature is supposed to reach into the 80s. There is a breeze, which makes the warmth more palatable to me. It just so happens that I went to bed feeling nauseous last night, and darned if that nausea didn't return today just as I was fixing to go to work. I actually had to pick my son up from his gymnastics class today, and that we made a rare visit to Red Robin to indulge in some lunch. After that Justin's mom was done with her medical appointment and ready to pick him up. It was at that point that I called in sick. My boss thought it was doable manpower-wise, and he told me to "get yourself better." Lucky for me, getting myself includes sitting on the deck under the sun, reading Jakob von Gunten.

Yes, I finally started a novel a couple of nights ago. It's by the Swiss writer Robert Walser, and I've been meaning to get to Herr von Gunten for a while. Really, I've wanted to read the book ever since I saw the film "Institute Benjamenta," which is based on the book. The film is very visual, and David Lynch-like, and unfortunately it's now out-of-print. It's been a few years since I've seen the film, so the book is still a bit of a revelation to me. Walser was without a doubt ahead of his time with his modernist take on literature.

No comments: