Thursday, May 27, 2010

Anticipation

There are now 500 books in my "to-read" queue on the GoodReads site. I feel like I've reached some milestone of anticipation. There are 500 books stretched ahead of me, awaiting my attention to bring their stories to life. The 500th book incidentally was The Laughing Policeman by Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö, yet another Scandinavian mystery.

I certainly have been on a book buying binge lately. I'm using my upcoming vacation as an excuse to buy new books, but the truth is I'll be lucky if I can finish one on the trip. My four-year-old son will be accompanying me, so reading time will be limited, just as it is here at home under the same conditions.

I'm currently fifty some odd pages away from the end of True Grit, and I have a strong urge to finish it tonight. As I'm reading I'm amazed at the sheer perfection of the story. The tale is told by 14-year-old Mattie Ross, who is determined to personally bring justice to the man who killed her father in cold blood. She employs the Marshall Rooster Cogburn to track the killer, and they are joined by a young Texas ranger named LaBoeuf. There is a film in the making, directed by the Coen Brothers. Jeff Bridges will play Rooster Cogburn, and I believe Matt Damon is playing the young girl, Mattie Ross. He's quite the actor that Matt Damon.

Besides all the books I'm looking forward to reading, I'm also excitedly anticipating my upcoming vacation. In the beginning 7 days (plus 2 travel days) seemed like plenty of time, but the days are already filling up with parties, and other familial obligations. As some goober once said though, "It's all good."

No comments: