Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Death and Taxes

I'm nearly done with my taxes. I was initially excited to find out that I would be getting back $341, but once I added in the income of my alimony payments I ended up owing the federal government $61. It could be a lot worse I suppose, but I was going to use the return to buy two expensive film books. I suppose I could come up with a different rationalization that would enable me to purchase the two books, and I probably will. I don't see how I can do without the two books: one on director Hal Ashby ("Being There," "Shampoo," and "Bound for Glory") and the other on the great character actor Warren Oates. I consider them both to be film icons, and I would love to know more about them. Both books are on a university press imprint, so the price is a little higher, and there is no discount for out store (which translates to meaning no discount for me either.)

I know have the first disc of "Breaking Bad" from Netflix at home to watch. I've heard many good things about this show, and I'm looking forward to checking it out. I guess it's about a high school teacher, who finds out that he has terminal cancer, and decides to start manufacturing meth in order to leave some money behind for his family. There might even be some "meth mouth" on display from time to time.

So, my taxes are nearly done, and I've decided to put Old Man Death on hold for a while. Too much good to be experienced in the world before checking out.

No comments: