Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Losing Sense of Time...

...Today felt like Monday to me. The source of that feeling is the fact that I stayed home sick yesterday. I was told that last night was quite slow at the bookstore, which is not surprising. Tonight we had an event, and that was a big success. (A big success for Ravenna Third Place is having approximately twenty people show up for an author reading, and selling ten or more copies of the book being promoted. We're just a little independent bookstore. We don't have the budget to advertise. I have found that if the author invites friends and family that usually helps to fill in some of the seats. Otherwise there could be an echo...

I had a nice weekend with my Significant Other in Edmonds, even though I was battling this head cold while I was there. We stopped at Third Place Books in Lake Forest Park (our parent store), and bought a few books for the weekend. Half the fun -- for us at least -- is bringing along books to peruse on our holiday. Other than reading I watched the Academy Awards early Sunday evening. I probably would not have watched them if it wasn't for my companion wanting to catch a few glimpses of Colin Firth. Over the years I've grown weary of the spectacle. When they decided to nominate ten films for best picture this year -- in an attempt to include more crowd-pleasers I presume -- it just cheapened an already cheesy awards show.

I'm about halfway through Consciousness: A Very Short Introduction by Susan Blackmore. I've already learned that I am without a self, or freewill, or even a center of consciousness. In fact, consciousness itself may be an illusion. A lot of the material in the "very short introduction" I am familiar with, but it's always good to get things from a new perspective. This book in particular has brought a lot of Daniel Dennett's ideas to light for me. He's strict materialist, if you are unfamiliar with his philosophical work in regards to consciousness.

As I near the end of the little book about a very big and mysterious subject, I am eying many others books that look quite good, especially Jim Thompson. For tonight I may settle back and watch something slow and peaceful. Either that or I could lie on the floor and listen to Beck's "Sea Change" until I dissolve into the carpet. Maybe if I was lucky I could spy the moon through my office window before I close my eyes.

No comments: