Friday, January 1, 2010

And So It Begins...

The new year has begun. Now we all have to start remembering to write 2010 on our dated documents. The bookstore was open regular hours, because there is nothing that Americans like to do more on holidays then go shopping. That is why we have things like Memorial Day and Veteran's Day sales. The holiday becomes just becomes another reason to consume. There does not seem to be any national holiday where everyone takes the day off. Ironically, many folks have to work on Labor Day. Most years I work on Veteran's Day, even though I'm a veteran.

The American culture of useless consumption is much more evident when one works in retail. One thing I've learned: The customer is not always right. And sometimes they are actually insane. Downright certifiable. The whole Black Friday thing -- people getting up before sunrise in order to take advantage of a sale -- is something I'll never understand. Remember George W. Bush's advice to the country after 9/11? Go shopping. And people think Obama is the anti-Christ? Insane.

I suppose I'm a snob in some person's mind, because I consider working in a bookstore to be a higher calling, at least in the world of retail. It's always fun to commune with other book lovers. I wish more people would read outside of their safety zone. I keep a log of every book I have ever read, and I'm happy to see a progression of sorts. Over the years I have been reading more classics, philosophy and science. The whole idea of reading a science book used to intimidate me. Now I just take what I can get out of it, and not worry about the rest. Gradually, the more I read on certain topics, the more concepts start to become clear.

I was asked by a co-worker the other day if I made New Year's resolutions. I scoffed and said no. She chuckled and said that she didn't think I was that type of person. I took it as a compliment. If one is going to vow to change some part of their life, why wait to do it on one day of the year? It's like only being thoughtful and generous on Christmas. But there is always the Christmas in July sales!

* * * *

The last year was filled with changes for me, including divorce, new housing, new job, and a new relationship. Those are all pretty high up there on the stress charts. I have still more changes ahead. Life is filled with changes, but sometimes it's just more noticeable. Overall, I'd say that I've been quite happy with the changes in my life over the past year. I'll be mentally and emotionally adjusting to these changes for some time to come, but I smile a lot more these days and that's important. I have a beautiful son, who will be turning 4 in a few weeks. I'm quite happy to be back at Ravenna Third Place, but most of all there is a certain owner of a particular pink robe who continues to fill my days with joy.

For those of you, who enjoy the symbolism of the New Year, have a happy and safe one.

No comments: