Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Reading Year 2009

Books Read in 2009


1) Citizen Vince by Jess Walter
2) The Language Instinct: How the Mind Creates Language by Steven Pinker
3) The Consolations of Philosophy by Alain de Botton
4) The Little Philosophy Book by Robert C. Solomon
5) Reservation Road by John Burnham Schwartz
6) The Power of Movies: How Screen and Mind Interact by Colin McGinn
7) What Does It All Mean? by Thomas Nagel
8) The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins
9) Among the Missing by Dan Chaon
10) Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior by Ori and Rom Brafman
11) Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis
12) The Relation of My Imprisonment by Russell Banks
13) Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates
14) The Light of Falling Stars by J. Robert Lennon
15) Dying Inside by Robert Silverberg
16) Erased by Jim Krusoe
17) Who Do You Love by Jean Thompson
18) Benny & Shrimp by Katarina Mazetti
19) Await Your Reply by Dan Chaon
20) Losing My Religion by William Lobdell
21) The Tenant by Roland Topor
22) Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives by David M. Eagleman
23) The Mysterious Flame: Conscious Minds in a Material World by Colin McGinn
24) The Intuitionist by Colson Whitehead
25) A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami
26) Descartes’ Error by Antonio Damasio
27) Invisible by Paul Auster


Top Ten in Descending Order

1) Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates
2) Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives by David M. Eagleman*
3) Await Your Reply by Dan Chaon*
4) Invisible by Paul Auster*
5) What Does It All Mean? by Thomas Nagel
6) Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis
7) A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami
8) Losing My Religion by William Lobdell*
9) Citizen Vince by Jess Walter
10) Benny & Shrimp by Katarina Mazetti*
11) Erased by Jim Krusoe*


*Published in the U.S. in the year 2009.

The last entry (Benny & Shrimp) is a sentimental favorite. My significant other read it first and mentioned some similarities between the two main characters, and us. I read it and found some of the same elements. I read a lot of great books in 2009, as I do every year. It's tough to pick out ten (11) favorites, and tougher still to try and attempt rate their position among the vaunted ten (11.) Of the ten (11) books listed, six of them were actually published in 2009. That number surprises me, but it shouldn't now that I'm once again employed at a bookstore, and able to peruse new titles fresh off the press. I have also written staff pick cards for six of the ten (11) titles. I guess I figure that the other four don't need my help to sell copies.

Who knows? I may yet read another great book that qualifies itself for yet another inane top ten (11) list, but time is running out before 2009 becomes just another year past.

No comments: