Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Sick Day

Today I took a sick day from work. I went in with good intentions, but after my long day yesterday of caring for Justin, and working my evening shift I felt worse today. I was feverish and fuzzy headed. I came home and slept until about 9:30 tonight, and then felt well enough to tackle my checkbook and awaiting bills. While I dealt with that mundane task, I watched the movie "Singles" out of my peripheral vision. I hadn't watched it in a few years, but there was a time when I watched it quite often. To me, it's not only a love story between the couples in the film, but it's also a love story about a city - Seattle. When I lived on the east coast, before my imminent return to Seattle, I would watch this movie and reminisce about living in Seattle during the budding days of Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Now I need to get some more rest, so that I can be full of heretical vigor this weekend at the annual FFRF conference. Friday's speaker is Ron Reagan, who also happens to live in the Seattle area, and does his radio show from here. On Saturday there will be the presentation of awards, and speeches by such luminaries as Ursula Le Guin, Bob Lobdell, and Jennifer Michael Hecht. This will be the third consecutive year that I will attend the conference by the Madison based group. I hope to continue this annual ritual that stimulates my intellect, and gives me a sense of belonging. Some people have Burning Man, while others have weekends in Vegas. I like to travel to cities to hang out with a group of friendly people working to keep the separation of church and state; giving a voice to a minority that is all too often ignored by society at large.


"Singles" (1992) - Written and directed by Cameron Crowe. It's worth a rental.

No comments: