Monday, October 26, 2009

Pining for the Fjords

Yes, I admit it. I'm starting to obsessively think about my upcoming trip to the Olympic Peninsula. Who can blame me? My divorce will be finalized this Wednesday. I'm having to pack away all my cares and woes. Actually, that's not true. I'm actually packing away all of my material possessions that will not reasonably fit into my tiny apartment (AKA the "freezer.") The days are becoming shorter at an ever-quickening pace. Rain is a frequent visitor to the area now. All I can think about is being ensconced in a cabin by the sea, with a certain passionate lover, who has the uncanny ability to take away all my cares and woes. (So that's where all my cares and woes go!) I just need a three nights by the sea, and the ability to leave the city and it's attendant stress behind.

I'm about 75 pages into A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami. It's his first novel, and, so far, I'm once again enjoying his characters and easy-going prose. Let it be my literary diversion until I'm ready once again to plunge into life's big issues. Tonight I will head to the old homestead after work to care for Justin overnight. He's home sick today, and I wish I was there to sooth his fevered brow. While there tonight I will undoubtedly pack away more books. It feels like I'm starting to make some headway, but my deadline (my line in the sand) is November 11th, Veteran's Day. With my second divorce in sight I guess I qualify as a veteran in that respect.

Here is a short promotional video for the Kalaloch Lodge. Two and a half months will seem to stretch into two and a half years, before the four hour drive to paradise begins. Until then here's just a teaser:

No comments: