Friday, October 23, 2009

Odd Moments

I just logged onto Facebook for the first time in a couple of weeks. I don't really use the site to socialize, which makes sense since I'm not the most social person in the world. I mainly use it to update my reading lists, music likes, and so forth. I also check in on my relatives that use it. I saw the photos of my niece's new baby mere hours after the birth. I have co-workers that check their Facebook page frequently throughout the day, and update it: "I just ate a cookie!" Me? I'm old fashioned. I still communicate via e-mail. Call me a Luddite, I know. I just cannot seem to get out of the habit of actually forming paragraphs filled with these things called sentences. I can almost count the number of times I've used emoticons on both hands.

The rain is pattering outside my door, drops slapping down onto the pavement entryway. I was laying in bed with my headphones on, listening to Ben Folds. Rock and roll with a smirk. I actually got up and turned my computer back on. I was having problems logging onto Blogger earlier, and I guess I was just aching to write a post. It's been a week, and so much has gone on in my life.

At about four o'clock on Wednesday morning -- I was still awake, but about to retire -- I heard someone very noisily stirring their recycled glass. I thought that maybe someone was going through the bin outside of the apartment house, but I peeked out my doorway, and could not see anybody in that direction. When I opened my door a cat immediately appeared above my head atop the parapet that borders the neighbor's property. The feline appeared to be begging for entrance into my abode. I mentally told him It's four o'clock in the morning! What the hell is going on out there? I never did find out what all the glass clinking was about, and the cat wasn't letting on.

Later on Wednesday, I took a short drive to the nearby Subway sandwich shop to buy my usual: turkey on whole wheat, hold the mayo. On the way back home, as I was turning south onto 99, I saw three police cars across the way on 100th st. by the custom upholstery shop. The cops were out of their cars with their guns drawn. I didn't have time, nor the inclination to see the suspect in their sights. I drove back to my apartment thinking, I'm about to enjoy a turkey sandwich, and there are police a few blocks away, threatening to end someones life.

So, a couple of weird events in amidst a week of work and some play. Not enough play mind you, but some.

No comments: