Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I'd Rather be Reading

A few years back I was reading a book a week. These days, with a full-time job, and parenting responsibilities, I’m lucky to get in a book a month. Anything over 250 pages starts to seem daunting. I’m about one hundred pages into Colson Whitehead’s The Intuitionist, and the story is drawing me forward, but the pull is not quite strong enough. I find myself admiring the New York of his alternate universe, where the world of elevator inspectors is highly politicized. The main character of the book, Lila Mae Watson, is the first black woman inspector. The world of elevator inspectors is also divided into empiricists and intuitionists. Needless to say, the intuitionists are viewed as practitioners of voodoo, or some other hooey. The intuitionists are more liberal, and in touch with their emotions. The empiricists are the old white boy network. A tough nut to crack. I think I would enjoy the book more if I could devote more time to it. I cannot get into the rhythm of the words, by reading it in twenty page chunks; on lunch breaks and just before falling asleep.

1 comment:

troutbirder said...

I do like book reviews... thanks. Wait till you get old though staying awake past 9:00 is a problem. :)