Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Literature and It's Enemies

It's nearing one in the morning...the morning of September 16th. Last Monday the 7th was my 13th wedding anniversary. I had completely forgotten about it until I was at the house that evening to care for Justin overnight and happened to glance at the calendar in the kitchen. I think it's probably the first year that I've forgotten, but I have a lot of things on my mind, like the dissolution of said marriage.

Last night I stayed at the house to care for Justin, and I was with him until I had to leave for work today. He has had some behavior issues lately, and it's hard to tell how much is caused by the impending divorce of his parents, and how much is just due to the fact that he is three and a half years old. There has certainly been some major changes in all of our lives over the last six months. I was with Justin nearly every day for the first three plus years of his life, until a wrench got thrown into the works last fall. Now that I'm working full-time, and living in my own apartment, my time with him has been drastically reduced.

Tonight I am staying at my apartment, and I will not be back at the house until Friday night. One of the pluses of being home is that I don't have to pill the cat. This translates to stuffing a Prozac down Lyle's gullet whenever I am staying the night at the house. Lyle is the resident psycho cat, and if he doesn't get regular doses of Prozac he starts to act freakier than usual and begins to pee indiscriminately around the house. The last time this happened he peed on some of my art books in my office. So, I have a vested interest in making sure he gets his meds...at least until all of my possessions are moved out.

As much as I'd like to ramble on and on, I must get some sleep before arising to sell more books tomorrow. Today is that day that the new Dan Brown novel went on sale. In case you've been living in a cave for the last ten years: Dan Brown is the author of the bestseller The Da Vinci Code, which was poo-pooed by the Vatican, and henceforth became a global bestseller. Brown's latest book is entitled The Lost Symbol and five million copies were shipped to bookstores in time for today's sale date. We have 32 copies in stock at Ravenna, and I'm somewhat proud to say that by the end of today we had not sold one copy. That fact makes me proud of our literate customers. We also have a very small true crime section, no romance section, and no copies of the Left Behind series in stock. Unfortunately, we have sold a couple of copies of Glenn Beck's piece of garbage, but I think the people that bought them were from South Carolina or something...just visiting.

Anyway, so much for not rambling on and on. I now must get into bed and listen to some music on my headphones for a while before drifting off into dreamland.

2 comments:

Shellie (Layers of Thought) said...

Hey Mark -
I am so glad to hear that your book store readers are taking a miss on Dan Brown's book. lol.
Hey I have to give my kitty 3 pills a day and was having to shove them down her throat - one the size of a cow pill. The vet gave me these things called pill pockets - they are great. She loves them. Our lives have become that much easier.
Manufacturer is Greenies web site greenies.com.
Take care!

Hayduke said...

It's day two of the big Dan Brown media onslaught and we still have not sold one copy. (I think that the readers of his work tend to buy from the Costcos and Barnes & Nobles of the world.)