Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Permanent Ink

Why do people get tattoos? Once upon a time only servicemen, prisoners and bikers had tattoos. I have three myself, from my days in the Air Force. They are not military related, just images I picked on a whim...and while sober. Now -- thanks to those adolescent whims -- I have Yosemite Sam emblazoned upon my forearm. I nearly accepted a job from Regal Cinemas in the spring, but they require folks with tattoos on their arms to wear long sleeve shirts. That wasn't the reason I declined the job, but it may have been a minor factor. Now I see old ladies with garish tattoos on their plump calves, and I realize that I'm just another aging veteran, who had some free time on their hands and decided to take a Friday night trip to the tattoo parlor. I will say that my sister, who is a year younger than me, was the first one in the family to get a tattoo. If I remember correctly...I think she has a rose on her shoulder. I believe it's mandatory for a biker's old lady to have tattoos. So, in tribute to adolescent whims, and the effect of the aging process on tattoos...a little Home Movies.

No comments: