Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Inner Angst

I've promised myself that I would blog more often, so here I am two minutes away from midnight on a school night, with my stamina quickly ebbing away. I will do my best to string a few sentences together before retiring to my tiny bedroom to listen to something loud and soothing on my iPod. For the past couple of days I have been in a Beastie Boys mood. There are probably quite a few acquaintances that would be surprised that I listen to the Beastie Boys, but hell, the Beastie Boys are old hat these days. Something about these raunchy New Yorkers appeals to my inner punk. (Yes, I have an inner Punk, along with an inner redneck that covets pick-up trucks, and owns a few guns.) When my inner angst starts to rise to the breaking point, I usually turn to loud music to soothe myself. In the old days I would pull out my sketch book and draw for a few hours. These days I sometimes keep a journal, but nothing calms my shaky soul like some loud punks screaming for emotional release. Don't knock it 'till you've tried it.

Today was a full day, but in no way stressful. I was running a little low on energy due to the fact that I was awake until about two in the morning. I was awoken at seven this morning by a visitor from my dreams. Later on I attended a Mariners game, but left before they blew the lead in the ninth inning. This evening I got some laundry done, and watched an episode of the Rockford Files. I also got about 50 pages into the novel Dying Inside by Robert Silverberg. I haven't read anything by him in years, and this particular novel was republished earlier this year with cover blurbs by Michael Chabon and Jonathan Lethem. You can't go wrong with praise from the likes of them. The novel is about a man in his early 40's who is starting to lose his telepathic abilities. It seems to be part of the aging process along with thinning hair. Now that I'm back working in a bookstore, everything I read will be considered for possible nomination as a staff pick. I'm also in charge of the sci-fi and horror sections (along with religion, philosophy, science, mythology...), so I'm sure I'll be reading more science fiction in the near future...but only the good stuff.

It feels good to be back at work, but this week is will also be a little weird for my son until we figure out some babysitting options. My wife ended up bringing him to work with her on Monday evening, and I drove to Kirkland to pick him up at about 10:30 pm. I hate to mess with his schedule, but things will settle down soon and he's pretty durable.

I'd better sign off before I start writing gibberish, or ranting about celebrities and hypocritical politicians.

No comments: