Friday, April 17, 2009

To Feel Ensconced

I was at Staples yesterday, picking up a cord cover for the Comcast cable that runs across my floor, when the sales-woman told me she loved moving into a new place. Gosh, I don't think I would quite put it that way. Now that I have a couple of full bookcases, and probably a few hundred DVDs to choose from, I am starting to feel more at home. There is still a job to find in order to keep afloat, but I can't let the lack of an income at this point deter any good feelings that may come my way. It was not my choice to move out of my house, but most things happen for a reason. Or at least I used to feel that way. More likely I have to find a reason, and meaning for the events that transpire. In days past I was a "glass is half-empty" kind of guy, but I've become more optimistic. Part of my renewed optimism may come from being a parent of a wonderful son. Part of it may be finally getting a handle on my depression that has nagged me most of my waking life. Some of it is surely due to having a sane and intelligent leader in the White House for the first time in years. I haven't failed to notice that most hardcore Republicans have gone off the rails with their "tea-bagging" parties and threats to secede from the nation. Jeeze people! It's only been three months since the right wing has lost power. Take a chill pill, or something.

Last night I stayed at the house, caring for Justin while my wife was at work poking and prodding animals in ill health. While switching channels between the Mariners game, and MSNBC, I packed up another half-dozen boxes of books and DVDs, and cleared off some shelves to transport over here to my subterranean lair. My apartment is small, but comfortable. Before I moved it the place was entirely redone with new appliances, and wood flooring. The only drawback is that the place is always as cold as a Frigidaire meat locker. I have a feeling that I'll be using the heat throughout the summer. Brrr!

I keep hearing that sunny days are imminent, but the evidence has yet to be seen. I think I'll putter around the apartment for a little longer and then treat myself to lunch at Jalisco. Nothing cheers my soul like a meal at Jalisco. Well...almost nothing.

No comments: