Friday, February 6, 2009

Tower of Power

Today we had a scheduled power outage, starting at 9 am. I was informed earlier in the week that the utility pole across the street was going to be replaced this week. I was even asked if one day was better than another, which was a nice gesture. A card was left in our door, declaring that there would be a power outage from 9 am until 3 pm. At approximately 2 pm the light in the bathroom came on, which was the signal that life could return to normal. The biggest drawback to the event was the fact that our house has electric heat, but even that was not too bad, since it is probably in the 40's today. My son spent the morning out with his favorite babysitter. They went to music class and then lunched at Red Robin, which is becoming Justin's favorite eatery. I managed to get another thirty pages read in The Language Instinct, and also had a short nap before the postman knocked on my door bearing bearing a box of belated birthday gifts for Justin. At the moment I think that Justin is falling asleep for his afternoon nap, which would make two days in a row! He even went to sleep well last night, after about a three hour nap in the afternoon.

I am enjoying The Language Instinct by Steven Pinker, but he is quite meticulous when it comes to explaining his theories, and I have to pay attention. That means that this book is taking me longer than I would prefer. It's not like burning through a mass market mystery. As much as I would like to take a fiction break after reading this scholarly work, I will probably read some more non fiction, such as The Dark Side by Jane Mayer.

No comments: