Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Free Time

We have hired a babysitter to come in three days a week - 5 hour stints each of the three days. Theoretically I should now have a little more time off. Whether that extra time will translate into more blog entries is yet to be seen. Today, while Justin was out with Amy (his new BFF), I got some important things done like laundry, dishes and putting clean clothes away. I also had some time to read more about noun phrases and word roots, with a few jokes along the way (The Language Instinct by Steven Pinker.)

"There is no such thing as a free lunch." But what about free time? Time is filled by the events we sometimes choose to fill them with; and sometimes events are thrust upon us. The idea of choice leads us to the question of free will, and whether humans actually have it. I choose to spend a lot of my "free time" reading. Sometimes that reading is for sheer pleasure, and sometimes it is to gain knowledge. Often I'm lucky enough that I gain both pleasure and knowledge from the same book.

No comments: