Friday, December 12, 2008

The Wrestler

I always think of late fall and early winter as the time of year when some of the best films are released into theaters. For the most part the timing is to help these films get recognized by the award fests that are just around the corner. The studios want their films to be fresh in the minds of the Academy voters. Films released in the spring are usually forgotten about by now. This year it seems like there has been a dearth of good films out there. At least films worthy enough for the current ticket prices. I've been wanting to see "Happy-Go-Lucky (dir: Mike Leigh)," Synecdoche, New York" (Charlie Kaufman's directorial debut), and "Slumdog Millionaire" (the latest from Danny Boyle) and I still hope to catch those films before they disappear from the big screens. But on December 17th Darron Aronofsky's latest film will be released. I'm a huge fan of both "Pi" and "Requiem for a Dream," but I thought "The Fountain" was a beautiful failure. Now with "The Wrestler" it seems that Aronosky has resurrected the career of Mickey Rourke and has crafted a powerful drama set in the world of professional wrestling. This is a film that I will go out of my way to see.






No comments: