Monday, November 17, 2008

The Ocean is Blue and so am I

It’s been over a week since I’ve posted anything on either of my blogs. Maybe it’s the post-election doldrums. Maybe it’s just my overall feeling of blueness brought about by personal issues that are seemingly out of my control. Maybe I just miss being in the wacky world of retail at this time of the year. Last weekend we drove out to a favorite spot of ours on the coast of the Olympic Peninsula. We had reserved a cabin within a short walk of the beach and a forest of very large green trees. The only drawback was that we ended up with a cabin without a separate sleeping space for our two-year-old son. Needless to say, it was very difficult to get our son to sleep when he was so excited about being at the ocean. One highlight was spotting two bald eagles roosting in a large wind battered tree onshore. We couldn’t resist using the wood stove in the cabin, even though when we used it we had to open all the windows due to the heat. I believe that next week I’ll be going away for three nights on my own. The purpose is to give my wife some time at home on her own. She has been experiencing a dearth of quiet time to herself. I’ll also enjoy having a few days away to read and rest, but my emotions about the situation are a little dodgy at the moment.

2 comments:

William said...

Hello Hayduke, this is Bill from Gig Harbor. I met you in Madison,WI at the FFRF convention. Sorry, I don't remember your real name, but I guess I'm not supposed to be using real names on these blogs anyway. I check in to your blogs on occasion and enjoy reading what you have to say. Our paths almost crossed earlier this year as I spent a week at the Marriot at Kaanapali, Maui. I was scheduled to go to the the FFRF convention in Chicago, but had to cancel at the last minute because I needed surgery. Pretty much recovered from that at this point. The main reason I am writing is that I wanted to let you know (if you don't already) that Dan Barker is going to be out here on Mon Dec 1. He will be dedicating a plaque at the capitol in the morning and then giving a talk at UW at 5 in the afternoon. Check out Conventions and Events on the FFRF web site for details. Keep up the good work on your blogs.....Bill

Hayduke said...

Hi Bill, it's good to hear from you. I kept my eyes open for you at this year's conference, but surmised that you didn't make it. I had heard from Dan Barker at his book signing that he was going to be in town, but didn't know the details. Thanks for the info. I'd like to make it to the event on campus.

I hope all is well. Thanks for periodically checking my blogs. FFRF is still planning on having the 2009 convention in Seattle. I hope to see you there.