Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Soon to be in a Vicodin Haze

Tomorrow morning I head into my much anticipated "soul enhancement" surgery. Just my luck I chose to watch Daniel C. Dennett last night, and he called the whole idea of a soul just "foolish." Anyway, my wife and son will be accompanying me to the hospital, and I'm hoping that they will be able to occupy themselves at a nearby park while I'm under the knife. I should be home in the early afternoon and in a Vicodin haze for the rest of the day. I've already warned Jen (my wife) that I will not talk to my parents when their inevitable call comes tomorrow evening. My parents did call tonight to wish me the best, and my mom said she would pray for me. I pointedly told Jen later that if anything dire happened she was to call my mother immediately and tell her that her prayers didn't work.

Justin chose today as one of those days to go without the usual nap. I really needed those two hours to myself to read and rest, but it just didn't happen. Tomorrow he will need to be occupied for a time, while I'm being checked into day surgery, so we will bring the portable DVD player. Lately he has been quite obsessed with Pee Wee Herman, but if we brought that show along he would be dancing through the hallways. Instead we'll bring My Neighbor Totoro, which usually transfixes him for its entirety.

2 comments:

Dee said...

It's been about 1 week. 'Hope you're OK?
Best wishes.

Hayduke said...

Thanks for the "best wishes." I should have the time and inclination to post a blog entry in the next day. Recovery is going well, although I overdid it a little today.