Wednesday, September 24, 2008

If It's Tuesday, This Must Be My Day Off

Each week my hard-working wife gives me two whole days off from being a full-time parent. Sometimes I take advantage of this time by seeing a movie. Last week I saw the excellent independent feature Frozen River, starring Melissa Leo. Sometimes I just hit a couple of my favorite bookstores and splurge a little. Recently I picked up at least a half dozen new titles, including The Making of a Philosopher by Colin McGinn and a nice used hardcover of Jesus Land by Julia Scheeres.

Today I chose relaxation as my pastime. I got another chapter read in the tome that I’m currently in the midst of. It’s a great journalistic exposé called The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power by Jeff Sharlet. It’s the second book in a row that I’m reading in preparation for my upcoming trip to the Freedom From Religion convention in Chicago. The Family is filled with frightening data concerning backroom deals made by this secretive Christian organization. Sharlet will be speaking at the upcoming FFRF convention, along with Daniel C. Dennett, Eleanor Clift and others.

I also managed to squeeze in a two hour nap after dispatching a door-to-door magazine salesman. This evening — as always — I caught Countdown with Keith Olbermann and The Rachel Maddow Show, which managed to beat Larry King in the ratings last week. (I would not miss those suspenders in the least, never mind his endless softball questions.) I also managed to see the Mariners come from behind to break their 12 game losing streak. So all in all I had a good day off.

* * *

Last week Jen was at a veterinary conference in Phoenix from Wednesday through Sunday, so Justin and I were on our own for a few days. It wasn’t too much different from when Jen works her 14 hour nightshifts at the emergency clinic Thursday through Saturday, except we didn’t even get to see her for the usual hour a day. Justin and I had a good time even though he was battling the latest virus that toddlers seem to pass around so freely. On Saturday we spent the morning building a monstrosity with his blocks. He didn’t need much help from me. I ran to get my camera before he got into his crash mode and he was very willing to have his picture snapped. He even said “cheese” and gave me a big smile. He’s just so darn huggable.




1 comment:

thematically fickle said...

Justin is so freakin' cute! I didn't even read the post yet because I was reading your sidebar and got sucked in by his darlingness when I got to the pics. ;)