Monday, September 29, 2008

Goodbye Paul Newman

Paul Newman died last Saturday at his home at the age of 83. He had been battling lung cancer for some time. Not only was Paul Newman one of our greatest actors, but he was a class act with a huge heart. I count the first PG rated movie I saw in a theater as the begining of a serious film addiction, leaving lightweight kid's fare behind. That first "adult" feature that I saw was "The Sting" with Paul Newman and Robert Redford. Last Christmas I was given a DVD copy of "Cool Hand Luke," which is my favorite Paul Newman film. Other favorites are "The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean," "Nobody's Fool," "Hombre" (based on an Elmore Leonard novel) and the two Lew Harper detective films "Harper" and "The Drowning Pool." Here's a little clip from "Cool Hand Luke" in tribute to the life and career of Paul Newman:

No comments: