Friday, September 19, 2008

Daddy's Heartbeat

My son Justin had a rough day today. The poor guy has been battling a cold for the past week, and I’m sure he’s tired of me chasing him down to wipe his nose every ten minutes. We took our dog Molly to the dog park today and by the time we finished and got back to our car Justin was in full atomic meltdown mode. He asked for a fruit wrap (it’s actually called “fruit leather,” but I prefer my own term), which I gave him after cleaning his hands. (I was trying to keep him from picking up rocks from the ground, because dogs pee freely on those same rocks.) He promptly threw the fruit wrap to the floor and pulled his shoes and socks off, while crying and pulling on his bottom lip with his fingers. By the time we got home he had a full-blown tantrum, including hitting his head on the floor. I calmed him down enough, so that he could eat his lunch. When he sat down to eat his macaroni and cheese he exclaimed, “Oh boy!” After lunch I laid him down for his nap and he slept for almost three hours. When he awoke I was hoping that he had a fresh outlook on life, but he lost it again when I cut up an apple to feed him. He ate really well today and seems to be sleeping well, so I’m expecting that he’ll be feeling much better tomorrow.

On another note: Jen was demonstrating her stethoscope for Justin recently and he was enjoying listening to my heartbeat. Lately I’ve been playing the only album put out by the “super group” called Little Village. The first song is called “Solar Sex Panel” and when it comes on Justin immediately says “daddy’s heartbeat.” I took it as a complement. It’s nice to know that my heart has a good beat and it’s easy to dance to. Little Village was comprised of the members John Hiatt, Nick Lowe, Ry Cooder and Jim Keltner. When they toured in support of their disc I was lucky enough to garner front row seats. The unlucky part was that I was accompanied my soon-to-be ex-wife, but that didn’t diminish my enjoyment one bit. Here is Little Village performing “Solar Sex Panel” on David Letterman from way back in 1992.

1 comment:

thematically fickle said...

While reading the first paragraph of your post, I kept thinking, "Jeeze, this guy is living my life!" You are not alone! ;)

Loving this song. Going out to buy right now. Isn't the internets great???