Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Night Out . . . of My Mind

Here’s something that really bugs me about parenting of late: Tonight I had a baby-sitter on duty from 5 p.m. until 10 p.m. I took the evening to attend an Atheist Meetup (Sacrilege!) in Ballard. I got home just after 9, hoping that Justin would be well on his way to a good night’s sleep. I was wrong. I made the near fatal error of opening his door to check on him. Now I’ve spent the last hour trying to get him to stay in his bed and go to sleep. My night away becomes yet another frustrating evening trying to get him to GO TO SLEEP! It would be one thing if his lack of sleep at the beginning of the night would translate into him sleeping later in the morning, but no such luck. I’ll be downstairs at 6 or 7 in the morning trying to convince Justin that he’s tired enough to sleep for another hour or so. What I’m really saying is “Daddy is so friggin’ tired. Could you just do me the favor of sleeping until 8:30 a.m., so that I can at least feel somewhat human?” Oh well. What did I think being a stay-at-home dad was going to be about? Rainbows and puppies?

No comments: