Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Music as a Soothing Balm

These days I'm doing most of my ranting and raving on my other blog. I try to keep my Destined for Banality blog for more trivial matters. The problem is that nothing seems trivial to me these days. Everything seems to carry so much weight. I sometimes feel like I'm swimming in a sea filled with skein of seaweed and it's difficult to make any progress. It's especially at times like these when my music keeps me afloat in this dark morass. Lately I've been listening to a lot of Weezer, but one of my favorite bands in the recent years has been the Queens of the Stone Age. Some members started out in a band called Kyuss, but QOTSA have morphed quite a bit since then, using musicians such as Mark Lanegan (of The Screaming Trees) and the Foo Fighters Dave Grohl to fill out their sound. I consider their album Songs For the Deaf to be one of my favorite albums of all time. It's downright perfect and certainly a disc I should not be without on the proverbial desert island. But their latest album, Era Vulgaris is really starting to grow on me. Sometimes when I'm lying in bed late at night trying to get to sleep after another day in George Bush's America this is the music that lulls me to sleep.











Ah, nothing like a little "Battery Acid" to calm my frayed nerves at the end of the day. You can have your Braham or Kenny G to help you drift you off to never-never land, but I'll stick with QOTSA.

No comments: