Friday, August 29, 2008

Missing Shows

I was actually in my bed, listening to the latest Weezer album (the red one), when I remembered recently getting an e-mail announcing their concert date in Seattle. I realized that I would really like to see Weezer live, so I came downstairs and turned on my computer to check on date and availability of the show. It's on Saturday, October 11th. I will be in Chicago for the FFRF convention. Oh well, I'd much rather be inspired and intellectually stimulated by the speakers at the FFRF event than being at home in order to catch one live show at Key Arena. Last year I missed getting great seats for the Zappa Plays Zappa tour, because I was in Massachusetts surprising my parents for their anniversary celebration.

Jen and I did manage to get out last Tuesday to see Intimate Exchanges at the ACT Theatre. I had bought tickets a few months back after watching The Norman Conquests by the same playwright Alan Ayckbourn. The Norman Conquests is a great BBC adaptation that stars Tom Conti and Penelope Keith. I first watched this three part production when it was originally broadcast in 1977. When I found the DVD available on Amazon.co.uk I just had to have it. Luckily I now have an all-region DVD player, so that I can enjoy titles like The Norman Conquests, which is otherwise not available to U.S. audiences. I was pleasantly surprised to see Glittering Prizes released a few weeks ago in the U.S., which also stars Tom Conti and is from that same era. I'm happy to remember that I was watching good British programming like this when I was in high school. My copy of Glittering Prizes should be arriving from Amazon in a few weeks.

Well, now that I've realized that seeing Weezer this fall is not doable I will end this blog entry before I end up on some other tangent that keeps me up for another hour.

No comments: