Saturday, August 9, 2008

Absenteeism

I have been remiss with my blogging, but with good reason: my parents had been visiting for just over two weeks. A parental visit will sure knock one's routine out of whack. They flew back to Massachusetts early last Tuesday morning. We're still readjusting, getting our chakras back in alignment and evening out those biofeedback waves. We had originally hoped that my parents would be able to care for Justin a little, while we got some projects done and maybe even had a little time left over to go out on the town. But my parents seemed to have aged recently and Justin is a handful for us, never mind foisting him onto my elderly parents. We did get out last Sunday evening for dinner at Little Thai in the U-district, and some post dinner shopping at Half Price Books.

It's getting quite late and I just finished watching Jean-Luc Godard's Weekend for the second time this week -- this time with the commentary track. I'm also about 100 pages into Daniel C. Dennett's Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon. It's a dense philosophical treatise that so far is just postulating questions pertaining to whether science can and should study religion. I'm reading this tome in advance of seeing Dennett speak at the upcoming Freedom From Religion conference. I'm also simultaneously reading a self-help book entitled Getting Real: Ten Truth Skills You Need to Live an Authentic Life. This book knowingly incorporates a lot of Zen type thinking and applies it to being more honest in the moment. It sometimes veers into typically sentimentalist self-help territory, but there are some good communication skills to be gleaned from it.

Getting Real and Breaking the Spell . . . it's all about the truth baby. The truth is out there and it will set you free. At least until truth gets redefined by the corporate powers that pull the puppet strings of our meager existence. Meanwhile I need to seriously consider getting to bed. I promise more inane blog posts soon.

No comments: