Thursday, March 27, 2008

Time Time Time

Finding the time to update this blog has been tough enough and now I've gone and started another blog. This one is specifically for my writings on religion and politics. I finally decided to make it a separate blog, so that readers have the choice of whether they want to take a chance on being offended or not. It's appropriately titled taboo-topics. Meanwhile I'm going to try and be better about updated my banality blog with . . . well . . . trivialities like movies and books and the most time consuming part of my life: parenting. I realized today that Chronic Fatigue Syndrome has always been around. It just used to be called "parenting." I use to be better able to utilize my time while Justin took his afternoon nap. Now I'm usually napping at the same time. Of course, these days Justin tends to wear me out a lot quicker. He's become quite active. He's also seemed to master things that just a month or so back seemed to flummox him. Today he pulled his puzzles out and completed them within minutes, as if to say piece of cake! He's also not as clingy when he attends his co-op classes now.

We're leaving for a vacation in Maui in just a couple of weeks. I've been trying to keep it out of my mind, because I'm quite nervous about the idea of flying 5 or 6 hours with a two-year-old. But torture is legal in this country now, so I guess there's no way around it. We'll be well-stocked with diversions to keep Justin busy on the plane. I have a feeling that the biggest behavioral salve will be the portable DVD player. He has flown with us before, but sleep always seems to elude him. Who can blame the kid for being excited. I'm just hoping that once we're in Maui that there will be brief moments of relaxation. We've also made plane reservations for my parents to fly out and visit in late July. They will be staying for 16 days, but since our place is a little small (and we'd like to maintain our sanity) we've booked them into a nearby Extended Stay Hotel. We're urging them to get passports for the first time in their lives, because we thought a trip to Vancouver Island would be fun. We also have tickets to see the Mariners play the Red Sox while they're in town. We kind of planned the visit around that series.

Speaking of baseball: the Seattle Mariners home opener is Monday. I've caught a few of the spring training games that have been on TV. They've had kind of a mediocre spring, but I keep telling myself It's only spring training. I was sorry to see some of the players traded in the off-season, including Ben Broussard, Adam Jones and reliever George Sherrill. I think Adam Jones has a great future, but unfortunately it will not be with the Mariners. Let's just hope that Erik Bedard can be the ace pitcher that the Mariners will need to compete.

I have a couple of movies I need to watch soon, but I don't think that's going to happen tonight. A friend lent me Top Hat with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, which I've never seen. I also have the original Walking Tall (1973) from Netflix. The original stars Joe Don Baker as Sheriff Buford Pusser, who takes on the corrupt elements in his town using a four foot oak club. Walking Tall was remade in 2004 and starred Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. The original had an estimated budget of $500,00 and grossed 23 million at the box office. The remake cost an estimated 56 million to make and it barely made that back at the box office (before international profits.) I don't see any reason to see the remake with it's plethora of explosions and it's rating of PG-13 to attract all the teen boys who want to "see what The Rock is cooking." The original also spawned a number of sequels and a brief TV series starring Bo Svenson. There were also movie versions produced for the USA network starring Kevin Sorbo of Hercules fame. The original film from 1973 was based on an actual person named Buford Pusser, but for whatever reason the versions with "The Rock" and Kevin Sorbo renamed the character Chris Vaughn and Nick Prescott respectively. I guess the name Buford Pusser would have made the savvy audiences of today titter, so they had to give him a bland name like Chris or Nick.

Joe Don Baker as Sheriff Buford Pusser
Accept no substitutes

No comments: