Friday, March 14, 2008

No Rest For The Wicked

Our visitors left on Wednesday morning. Jen’s sister Jessie with husband Bob and daughter Victoria were visiting from Saturday until Wednesday morning. They had a great time, but it was quite exhausting for us. We’re not used to running around the city like tourists. We did the Space Needle and the Children’s Museum. We also took the monorail to Westlake Center for lunch. After lunch Bob and I took Justin back home for a nap while “the girls” stayed at Seattle Center to visit the Pacific Science Center. That was Sunday. On Monday they took a trip to Pike Place Market after taking Molly (our dog) on her bi-annual trip to Magnuson dog park. On Monday night, at about 10 p.m., we took Justin to the Children’s Hospital emergency room, along with a lot of other parents and toddlers. Justin was coughing and seemed to be running short of breath at times, so we were extra cautious and took him in. Our prediction of the entire visit lasting four hours was correct. We got back home at about two o’clock Tuesday morning. The breathing didn’t seem to be an issue, but we did find out that Justin had an ear infection. He’s still coughing quite a bit today, but it doesn’t seem to have hampered his ability to have tantrums, or resist naps. He should be sleeping soundly right at this moment, so that I can have some downtime too. Instead he is continuing to dismantle his room in small increments. On Tuesday Jen took her sister’s family up to Snoqualmie Pass to see some real snow! I stayed home with a recovering Justin. He napped for about four hours that afternoon, which was a real treat for me. I got about halfway through a Michael Connelly mystery I was reading that afternoon.

Today is a different story. Justin had a “no nap” day, which means that I was at my wit’s edge. He’s played in his room, but every five to ten minutes I had to go in there in an effort to keep him from destroying things. The good news is that after his bath tonight he went immediately to sleep at 7 p.m.

I finished reading A Darkness More Than Night by Michael Connelly last night. It was another in a series of Harry Bosch mysteries. This time Connelly brought in a character from two previous books, The Poet and Bloodwork, Terry McCaleb. One blurb on the back states that ”McCaleb and Bosch make a formidable team.” Only they don’t really start working as a team until the book is nearly over. Most of the book is taking up with Terry McCaleb, ex-FBI profiler, targeting Bosch as a suspect in a recent murder. As the reader, you know that Harry Bosch is not the killer, so you’re constantly exhorting the characters to get to the part where they figure how stupid they have been to suspect Harry in the first place. Anyway, even at 475 pages, it was the kind of book I could breeze through in a week — even without Justin taking naps and with relatives in town.

I have a couple of books set out to peruse: He Who Fears The Wolf by Karin Fossum, another mystery, and First Light by Charles Baxter, author of A Feast of Love. I’m not sure if I really want to read another mystery, even though it’s Norwegian. There are also a lot of good nonfiction titles that I’ve bought recently that I’d love to dive into. And then there’s the classics. It could take me a few days to decide what to read, but then I’m wasting precious reading time on decision making. Not at all unusual for me. I’m the same way when it comes to picking a movie to watch in the evening. Sometimes I spend the whole evening in front of shelves with their hundreds of titles in alphabetical order and I cannot decide whether to watch The Wizard of Oz for the umpteenth time, or something I haven’t yet seen, like The Milky Way by Luis Bunuel. In the meantime I think I’ll bring a stack of books out to the living room to browse through. Maybe I can actually make a decision tonight and get some reading done.

No comments: