Saturday, December 1, 2007

The Rat Behind the Screen

I have been remiss in keeping up with my blog. One might think that I was suffering from PTSD after visiting friends and kin in Massachusetts. That would not be an entirely true statement. Actually, I’ve just been busy being a stay-at-home dad, and for the past three or four days I’ve been quite sick. The trip back east went fine and I managed to keep my sanity by limiting my trips and visits. I even managed to sleep in until nearly 11AM a couple of days (of course, that’s east coast time and my inner clock was still set to the west coast, so technically I wasn’t really sleeping in.) There is still no one back there that shares my interest in freethinking or left wing politics. Everyone is caught up in their own spectrum of activity and that’s understandable. The flight back was even stress free, considering that I was flying on the day before Thanksgiving with a flight change in Chicago. I even had an empty seat next to me on both legs back to Seattle. I can’t remember the last time that happened.

I’m going to make this a short entry tonight, because it’s already nearing midnight. But I want to get back in the habit of posting more regularly. Sometimes the problem is that I have too much to write about and not enough time to prepare my thoughts for posting. I just finished watching a B-movie from 1992 called The Resurrected. It was based on a story by H. P. Lovecraft and written and directed by Dan O’Bannon (Return of the Living Dead and writer of the original Alien.) It was a decent low budget horror flick with some inventive special effects including some stop-motion work. Last weekend I got out to see No Country for Old Men, the new “American Classic” from the Coen Brothers. A couple of days later I got ambitious and saw a matinee of Dan in Real Life, which was a disappointment and should have been a rental at best (which is exactly what my friend Adam said, but I had to see for myself.) It has some great talent involved including actors Steve Carell and Juliette Binoche and it was written and directed by Peter Hedges, whose directorial debut was the smart and funny Pieces of April (certainly the last decent piece of work that Katie Holmes will ever do.) Hedges also wrote the novel What’s Eating Gilbert Grape, so to find Dan in Real Life saturated with movie-of-the-week clichés was quite disappointing. I also had a chance to see Ratatouille recently and it will rank up there as one of my favorite films of 2007.

Well, if this is going to be a “short entry” that I had better stop. Oh, it snowed today! And I don’t want to forget to mention that when I saw Into the Wild at the Neptune I saw something I hadn’t see before. As I was sitting there staring at the white screen before the film started I noticed some dark shape in the lower left corner of the screen. Then the shape moved and it became a large rat that then crawled out from the screen. I subtly glanced around to see if any of the other dozen or so people in the theater noticed, but it seemed that I was the only observer of the rodent. After about five or ten minutes the rat returned to his home behind the screen. I’m assuming he had filled up on greasy popcorn before taking in yet another showing of Into the Wild. I’m sure it would have preferred that Ratatouille was on the bill.

No comments: