Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Boxing Day

Happy Boxing Day to all you Canadians out there! I had wanted to post some thoughts on Christmas Eve and on yesterday, the actual holiday, but time just got away from me. It’s not that I didn’t have any thoughts. I did. It’s just that I was spending most of my time either wrapping presents, unwrapping presents, eating, or sleeping. Right now my in-laws are ensconced in front of the widescreen television watching Michael Moore’s Sicko. I asked them if they wouldn’t mind me holing away in my office to catch up on all this stuff that I don’t get to do when I’m parenting.

I got some great things for Christmas, but — like most consumerist Americans — there are always a few items still desired on the day after. I took a breather from entertaining relatives today and drove over to Silver Platters. My intention was to pick up a couple of discs by this band called Sasquatch and maybe one by Mondo Generator. Very heavy music with crunching guitar riffs. Instead I walked out with new albums by Suzy Bogguss, Stacey Kent and Rachel Sage. Talk about being at the other end of the musical spectrum! I still couldn’t quite get myself to purchase the latest discs by Steve Earle or Wilco. The highlight of the shopping experience was getting a free CD, because I had amassed enough credit from previous purchases. It’s some kind of frequent buyer program. After shopping for music, I walked across the parking lot to purchase a cherry pie from the Marie Callender’s restaurant. It was a stop that never got made on Christmas eve.

This afternoon I ordered a copy of the new DVD documenting the Zappa Plays Zappa tour of last year, and in particular their show at the Paramount that I attended. The DVD is two discs and over three hours, so it sounds like they have included the complete show. It’s a little pricey at $35, but I’m sure I’ll enjoy reliving the concert again and again. I also ordered a DVD and live CD from the Suzy Bogguss site. I'm making up for missing her recent show at the Triple Door in Seattle.

And even though I gave into my consumer cravings a little today, I did get some great gifts yesterday. Jen gave me a big surprise: the POV 20th Anniversary Collection, which contains 15 documentaries that have been show on the PBS show P.O.V. It’s an impressive collection and I’m sure it’ll take me a while to work through it. I received two other DVDs: Cool Hand Luke and the four disc collector’s version of Blade Runner. Lots of good viewing ahead. I also received some excellent books including the writings of Thomas Paine published by the Library of America and an Everyman’s Library edition of Darwin’s Origin of Species and Voyage of the Beagle. My parents sent me a T-shirt commemorating Jolly Cholly’s, which was a local amusement park I used to go to when I was just a tyke.

No comments: