Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Missing the Music

I was lying in bed last night, listening to some music before dropping off to sleep, when I started to think of some of the concerts I was missing this fall. Last year I saw the Zappa Plays Zappa tour, which consisted of Dweezil and some special guests (like Terry Bozzio and Steve Vai.) It was an amazing show, but I was stuck up in the nosebleed section of the Paramount theatre. This year I had a chance to get great seats on the floor, but then I realized that I would be in Massachusetts at the time of the show. I’ve also recently passed up opportunities to see Ween and Queens of the Stone Age. Two of my favorite bands and I’ve never seen either one live. I also missed seeing Suzy Boggus at the Triple Door at the end of the summer. Suzy Boggus is a fine country singer, who doesn’t fit into the usual mode. In fact, her last album was a disc of swing music. The Triple Door would have been a great venue to appreciate her voice, especially considering that the only time I had seen her live was at a fair in Adams, Massachusetts. I don’t remember the exact reasons for not attending these shows, but it’s not as easy as it used to be to get out of the house. Jen works nights and I’m a stay-at-home dad. We have a few people to call on for babysitting duties, but one doesn’t like to overtax their charitable offers. It’s like asking a friend one too many times to take you to the airport. Pretty soon you’re minus a friend.

No comments: