Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Sidney-By-The-Sea

We just got back from our three night stay on Vancouver island late this afternoon, so I don't have much energy to put into a serious entry tonight. You would think that I planned on vacationing at a spot that has more bookstores per capita than any other town in Canada, but it just worked out that way. Sidney is a small town, so it's nine bookstores easily give it that distinction. I had one brief hour to investigate two of the bookstores: Beacon Books, which carried used titles and Tanner Books, which was a selection of new books and a wall of magazines. I found a couple of used books worth getting at Beacon: a Modern Library paperback edition of Jude the Obscure, one of my all-time favorite books; and a copy of Edith Hamilton's Mythology, which has been on my "must get" list for a while. At Tanner Books I was hoping to find the posthumous release by Carl Sagan called The Varieties of Scientific Experience: A Personal View of the Search For God, but instead I walked out with a copy of something called Philosophers Without Gods: Meditations on Atheism and the Secular Life. Can you spot the trend in my recent reading selections? And speaking of Philosophy: I finished reading Sophie's World on my last night in Sidney. Jen sat in an adjacent chair (a Lazy Boy) doing Sudoku puzzles all night, while I finished the heady tome. Now I'm into a recent novel that I got from the library called Bearing the Body by Ehud Havazelet. I was persuaded by a review in the NY Times written by Francine Prose. She positively gushed over Havazelet's first novel and it sounded like it contained some of my favorite themes: loss, desperation, desire, redemption and so forth. A dark journey of the soul. In other words, a light read.

I just finished watching a Polish black comedy entitled Day of the Wacko (I prefer the original Polish title: Dzien Swira.) I'm still undecided as to my opinion. The main character was very annoying, but his neuroses were the central theme of the film. I also think I missed some of the humor, because I'm not more acquainted with modern Polish culture.

Well, I'm fading fast. Maybe tomorrow I'll have more time to devote to this trivial exercise.

No comments: