Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Misty Morning

This morning I had time to finish reading Bearing the Body by Ehud Havazelet. It was a decent first novel, but it didn't quite live up to the promise given in Francine Prose's review. On the plus side: it was the seventh book from the library that I've read this year. This is a good trend that I want to keep up, but so far it hasn't slowed my book buying. I just manage to find other books to buy. My next read is already chosen: God Is Not Great by Christohper Hitchens. I've feel like I've read my fill of atheist polemics over the past year, but I'll be seeing Hitchens speak in a couple of weeks, so I thought I should have his book digested by then.

Tonight Jen and I will be going to the Mariners game. They only have six games left, so we're getting in just under the wire. I was lucky enough to be invited to a game earlier in the year, but Jen hasn't been to a game in a while. We'll be dropping Justin off at our friends house and picking him up after the game. We just need to promise to babysit their son Daniel in the next week or so.

Yesterday I attended a matinee showing of David Cronenberg's latest film, Eastern Promises. I had a pretty good impression of the nature of the film going in, and it didn't do anything to exceed my expectations. I would have to say that I enjoyed it slightly more than The History of Violence, but the film seemed to have a cold heart at its center and the storyline of the Russian mob operating in London doesn't present anything new to the viewer. The film's mood is punctuated by Cronenberg's scenes of ultra-violence, but there was no passion between the scenes of brutality and blood to elicit any empathy from me for the characters passing by on the screen.

No comments: